300ZX mechanic in Christchurch?

Talk about anything 300ZX
mudgripz
Stage 2 - ECU upgrade

300ZX mechanic in Christchurch?

#1 Post by mudgripz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:14 pm

Does anyone know of a mechanic experienced with 300ZXs in Christchurch - esp good if they do homer jobs?

lil-vulky
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

#2 Post by lil-vulky » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:15 pm

What type of work do you need done?

mudgripz
Stage 2 - ECU upgrade

#3 Post by mudgripz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:43 pm

It is tossing coolant out when it warms up and heats some - though temp guage does not run hot. Did the TeeKay test today and no gases in radiator so head is sound It is likely circulation of coolant i.e. thermostat or waterpump. So I need to replace those. Thermostat warms up in few mins so most likely pump.

Bit of a job getting radiator out and doing pump and thermostat. Belts?

Speed_Freak
Stage 9 - ported throttle bodies

#4 Post by Speed_Freak » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:24 pm

What do you mean its tossing water out?
1990 2+2 Manual JDM TT in Custom Cherry RED Pearl 304rwhp!! yayah!

Hayd3n
Stage 3 - test pipes, gut cats

#5 Post by Hayd3n » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:48 pm

first things first try your radiator cap

lil-vulky
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

#6 Post by lil-vulky » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:41 am

mudgripz wrote:It is tossing coolant out when it warms up and heats some - though temp guage does not run hot. Did the TeeKay test today and no gases in radiator so head is sound It is likely circulation of coolant i.e. thermostat or waterpump. So I need to replace those. Thermostat warms up in few mins so most likely pump.

Bit of a job getting radiator out and doing pump and thermostat. Belts?

water pump and thermostat wont be very hard to replace. Remove radiator ps pump belt alternator belt and remove timing covers, pretty straight forward

But personally if you plan to keep the car for ages and you haven't had proof or done the timing belt yourself id probably get a new timing belt and tensioner and idler pulleys and studs while i was there. unless everything looks new. and good

when the car is idling with the radiator cap removed does it bubble and push the water out the top?

I wouldn't trust the stock temp gauge either, just because it doesn't read its getting to hot it may still be getting to hot. but i haven't personally seen a faulty stock temp gauge only oil pressure gauges/senders

it also could be as simple as the radiator cap like hayden said, if its not pressurizing the coolant system it will get hotter and could lose water out the cap.

Also the overflow tank could be cracked and not holding water and once the car is warmed up it pushes water into the overflow and its meant to suck it back in when cold again but if the water just drains from the overflow it will have nothing to suck back up resulting in low water in the radiator the next morning or next time you check it when its cold