To ABS or not ABS

Talk about anything 300ZX
ultrapulse
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

To ABS or not ABS

#1 Post by ultrapulse » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:53 am

A long time I know, but now back into my daily-driver zed project.
This is a 2 seater t-top. The car is totally stripped down and has had a reasonably fresh coat of paint.
Before fitting too much back into the car I need to decide whether to fit ABS or non-ABS plumbing and pipework to it. I know the majority of you will say "Yes else you'll crash" but because I have never needed to actually lock my brakes up on the road as long as I can remember, I thought that it would be a good time to further simplify the chassis and reduce its weight.
For those who say "just add more power" unfortunately the car will be fitted with a relatively stock VH45na so only have so much power to go around.
Also consider that because I will be at least fitting Godzilla front brakes and different pads all-round and maybe different rear discs that the bias will probably be upset anyway, possibly reducing the ABS functionality if I don't re-proportion the system, which will be no doubt more easily done without ABS.
What's more, the master cylinder and entire brake plumbing as quite different so it's either happening or not, no backs.
Thanks for reading a lengthy post, and feel free to comment and add your opinions.
Bolts straight up...yeah right!!

samnlou
Stage 5 - boost controller

#2 Post by samnlou » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:34 am

I guess there is one other consideration... traction control.

with the sensors sensors and ecu, the addition of TC is inexpensive. without those it is not easily achieved.

I've met your slicktop and it can let go of the road pretty easily. The 2+2 with the VH will have the same tendency...
I don't have too many cars...
I just need a bigger driveway ;)

MikeC
Elite Z owner, king of modification

#3 Post by MikeC » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:12 pm

I like ABS and I reckon it is often used but not felt in a Zed. It does not pulse the pedal like other cars I have drive.

Traction control - a good point but unlikely if you are not chasing high HP.
Also consider that because I will be at least fitting Godzilla front brakes and different pads all-round and maybe different rear discs that the bias will probably be upset anyway, possibly reducing the ABS functionality if I don't re-proportion the system, which will be no doubt more easily done without ABS.
What's more, the master cylinder and entire brake plumbing as quite different so it's either happening or not, no backs.
These factors are not a reason to not have ABS, my car has stock rear large fronts and a brake balance control but still the ABS works fine. Really handy on the track - stops chewing through the slicks and handy in the wet.

I would suggest put it back in, the weight saving is minor and the changes you are going to make should not affect it, unless of course the integration is a nightmare, but does it not have its own computer anyway.

ultrapulse
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

#4 Post by ultrapulse » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:21 pm

Too late already have installed it :) . (what a mission by the way!). Being a cheap-arse I figured I had a near-new master cyl ABS-style so went with that. I also figured we're talking a 1% approx. weight-saving in a road-car and haven't driven anything fast for ages.
Will try and update some pics. I have started a facebook folder, see if that works.

https://www.facebook.com/lincoln.mills. ... nref=story

Let us know if this works (or not)

P4tty
Stage 5 - boost controller

#5 Post by P4tty » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:24 am

pretty excited to see this thing with the 45 in it.. that'l be the 4th VH Z32 i know of in NZ.
My VH41 is running standard sized Znoelli slotted rotors, HD pads, had ABS from factory so left it as is.
"my mind said slow down, but my foot said f*ck it, GO!! "

MikeC

#6 Post by MikeC » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:18 pm

I get

Sorry, this content isn't available right now

The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

But then I am not on facebook, but you could make your settings so us non-facebook people could still see.

Mad Mike

#7 Post by Mad Mike » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:58 am

I get the same error.
MikeC wrote:
I get

Sorry, this content isn't available right now

The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

But then I am not on facebook, but you could make your settings so us non-facebook people could still see.

ultrapulse
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

#8 Post by ultrapulse » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:05 pm

Okay the facebook link won't let me share "public". It wants to see people's names / contributors and won't let me type my own name to make the folder public.
A good reason why my finer tech skills have slipped, time's running out and I've got better things to do... Will see if I can find a way. This whole pic-sharing has never been quick or easy, where it should be by now. Just wanna share the love haha (and the frustration).

Hayd3n
Stage 3 - test pipes, gut cats

#9 Post by Hayd3n » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:36 pm

PICS UPLOAD TO PHOTOBUCKET AND THEN SHARE THE LINK :)