New Project. 2+0 TT Manual

Talk about anything 300ZX
Slashman
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

New Project. 2+0 TT Manual

#1 Post by Slashman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Well it has arrived. Some of you may have read on the trademe thread...I picked up a red factory manual TT 2+0 for a happy sum of $1800.

I looked at this car some months ago when it was advertised for around $6k. At the time I figured it wasn't me, certainly not at $6k anyway.
As it happens I bought our blue TT manual 2 seater and we are delighted with its condition. Plans are underway for a new engine and everything is good with the world.

Until Thursday that is when the same red TT I had looked at originally popped up on trademe. This time "not going - no spark" for $2500.
After some quick Q&A with the owner we agreed on a price of $1800.

Before I go on I have to say, I do not fell ripped off in any way. I got what I paid for and have no complaints there. This thread is merely to show it off in all its splendour....and its quick transformation back into a worthy example of a fine car again.

The car has allegedly had a complete engine rebuild. That remains to be seen when it is going again.

Now I wouldn't call myself a perfectionist, in fact I would say more of a realist. I understand these cars are now 20 years old. What I cannot understand is WHY anyone in their right mind would do these things to a car.

The car arrived today on a transporter (highly recommend Captain Transporter) and ummmm WTF?? :!:

It sports a Veilside copy front bumper. Stunning looking thing it is...just not on the front of my Z. That will be going on trademe for a dollar and hopefully purchased by someone intent on using it as an outrigger on a canoe.
Those with a keen eye will see that the bumper has been painted on the car and the whiz kid applicator has generously coated everything behind the bumper as well.

But wait, thats not all. A nice square hole has been chopped in the bonnet with a hunk of tin screwed to it to create something resembling a bonnet scoop with rearward facing outlet....presumably this would assist heat is getting out of the engine bay in the car that doesn't run :?:

I'll progress this thread....it gets worse, much much worse. First I'm going to figure how to post some pictures on here....they describe it far better than I could.

Slashman
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

#2 Post by Slashman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:30 pm

So amazed was I at the workmanship of the bonnet scoop I almost forgot to look at the engine. Now I wish I had. As you can see the bonnet has also been painted on the car although it seems masking off the hole so the engine didn't cop a face full was too difficult.

Now I dont pretend to be fantastic on these things when it comes to mechanicals, I did my time on diesels. However when the previous owner described no spark having followed a period of misfiring and hesitation my first thought was a dead PTU.
Greeting me when I opened the bonnet was a coil pack sitting out of place and under it, the spark plug just sitting lop sided in the hole. I can guarantee the PTU has not been unbolted or unplugged.

Now I have had a few cars in my time. Some rough, some absolutely stunning but NEVER have I bought one to find two piles of cat sh!t to greet me. This has to say something about the previous owners priorities.

Last edited by ZETTO on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZILVER
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

#3 Post by ZILVER » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Oh for the love of some masking tape! & what is an AMO? LMAO

Anyway visual/perfectionism aside - we all know a Twinturbo Z32 resides under those mistakes.
So I whole heartily agree its worth resurrecting to pass glory!
I look forward to comparing some of your before and after photos.

Slashman
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

#4 Post by Slashman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:55 pm

The previous owner had at various times stated in his auctions "this car is capable of running 20psi boost but only runs 18 at the moment"
Given that it is endowed with two boost guages I can only wonder if both of them read 9psi and they got added together to make 18 :idea:

This would not be suprising - one need only look to the ingenious routing of the hoses to the boost guages and free floating boost tap to realise that accuracy is not exactly a strong point.

The rest of the interior is assembled to the same exacting standard. It's all there but someone was obviously never much good with jigsaw puzzles as a lad.

Blackbird
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

#5 Post by Blackbird » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:05 pm

:lol: All Class

When can I come and have a look at the prized Z in the flesh Ray?

This one might need some Bourbon to figure it out :wink:

Mungyz
The Lab

#6 Post by Mungyz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:11 pm

MINT!! I love it :lol:

Would have looked better in purple though :lol:

Slashman
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

#7 Post by Slashman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:12 pm

The entire car has been treated to a liberal dosing of stickers. I think the idea was that if it had an adhesive backing it was good enough to be applied to whatever random bit of spare glass could be found. 19 stickers in all including the "4AMO" across the top of the front screen which (pics dont show it well) was decorated with no less than 4 black pin stripes.

And just to make it even more attractive, the idea of masking tape and newspaper over the wheels was deemed cost prohibitive.

Slashman
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

#8 Post by Slashman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:20 pm

ZILVER wrote:Oh for the love of some masking tape! & what is an AMO? LMAO

Anyway visual/perfectionism aside - we all know a Twinturbo Z32 resides under those mistakes.
So I whole heartily agree its worth resurrecting to pass glory!
I look forward to comparing some of your before and after photos.
I think the "AMO" has something to do with the personalised plate it used to have on it...then again it might just as easily have been in reference to the whole thing being ready to let go like a hand grenade :shock:

The aim is to have it running by the end of the week and starting to look a little more like someone loves it by the end of the weekend. Progress pics will follow. :P
Blackbird wrote: All Class

When can I come and have a look at the prized Z in the flesh Ray?
Any time mate, just flick me a text. Might pay to wait until I have rinsed the cat poo from it though, it has an interesting smell when it has been out in the sun :oops:
Mungyz wrote:MINT!! I love it

Would have looked better in purple though
It would have looked better in anything at all. This colour is not nice at all. It has been resprayed red with a blue pearl over top which really doesn't suit it. Still, thats the least of it's worries right now.

SMZ
Stage 8 - twin pod filters

#9 Post by SMZ » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think Factory manual's had cruise control?

Is it maybe an auto to manual conversion?

jaymanson
Stage 6 - NOS antilag

#10 Post by jaymanson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:42 pm

xr6twolf wrote:Image
After seeing that image with the Scotland sticker, I just want to make it very clear that this isn't how us Scots look after their cars in general :shock:

Loving the catshit though - I was scrolling down thinking it couldn't get any worse :shock:

Good luck!!

Slashman
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

#11 Post by Slashman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:48 pm

SMZ wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think Factory manual's had cruise control?

I didn't think they did either but the ID plate definitely says she's a manual. :D
Last edited by ZETTO on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jibber
Stage 6 - NOS antilag

#12 Post by Jibber » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:56 pm

Maybe it scared the cats? God knows it wouldn't be a suprise?!

Still, if you squint, you can see the potential.

Nice work, and good luck!

Speed_Freak
Stage 9 - ported throttle bodies

#13 Post by Speed_Freak » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:04 pm

I hope thats where my red bonnets going to mate lol
1990 2+2 Manual JDM TT in Custom Cherry RED Pearl 304rwhp!! yayah!

Slashman
Stage 11 - sport turbo's

#14 Post by Slashman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Speed_Freak wrote:I hope thats where my red bonnets going to mate lol
LOL....thats exactly where your red bonnet is going :!:

ultrapulse
Stage 12+ - Z-holic

#15 Post by ultrapulse » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:55 am

xr6twolf wrote:
SMZ wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think Factory manual's had cruise control?

I didn't think they did either but the ID plate definitely says she's a manual. :D
Yes but quite rare. I had one a long time ago and have seen only one other since...

Good price!! too cheap!!
Bolts straight up...yeah right!!